The health benefits of lime include weight loss, improved digestion, reduced respiratory disorders, enhanced immunity, relief from, as well as prevention of cancer and kidney stones. Lime is also used in the treatment of scurvy, piles, peptic ulcer, gout, and gums. It also aids in skin care, hair care, and eye care.
What is Lime?
Lime (Citrus aurantifolia) is a small, round green color hybrid citrus fruit.Due to its acidic sour juice and unique aroma, the lime fruit is widely used in various cuisines to accent flavor. It is a common ingredient in Mexican, Vietnamese, and Thai cuisine. There are several species of citrus fruits which are known as limes. These include Key lime, kaffir lime, wild lime, desert lime, and Persian lime.
This zesty tropical fruit has been well known for its medicinal properties for ages.Lime finds its application in cosmetic and health products too. Extracted from the lime’s peel or skin, lime essential oil is extensively used in and perfumes.
Predominantly known for its ascorbic acid reserves, it provides 32% of the daily recommended vitamin C intake. It has high water content and a good source of minerals like calcium, iron, copper, sodium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium as well as vitamins like folate, vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin K.
Limes have many surprising medicinal, culinary, and cosmetic uses.Below are some of them.
- Culinary Uses: Lime juice adds a tart flavor to soups, salads, vegetables, and also baked foods. Squeezing some lime on roasted chicken or pan-fried white fish can add a tangy taste to it. It is also widely used in the preparation of desserts, pickles, jams, jellies, snacks, and candies.
- Cleansing Agent: It can easily increase the cleansing properties of any facial cleanser or shampoo by merely adding 2-3 drops of it.
- Aromatherapy & Perfumes: Lime essential oil is used in aromatherapy and perfumes for its fragrance and its stimulating effect on the body and mind.
- Beverages: It is the most favorite ingredient when it comes to cocktails, sorbets, and fresh beverages.
- Cosmetic Products: It is used in cosmetic products like body oil, hair oil, toothpaste, beauty soap, disinfectant, mouthwash, and deodorant.
- Medicinal Uses: Because of their , antiseptic, and disinfectant properties, the peel, oil, and juice of the fruit have medicinal uses. It is also used in making anti-congestive medicines and to treat severe diarrhea.