- If the notebook computer is running solely on battery power, plug the AC adapter into the notebook.
- Shut down the computer if it is running.
- Press the power button to turn on the computer.
- Press F10 when the HP/Compaq logo displays.
To start the HDD Self test:
Depending on the type of BIOS shipped in the Notebook, the following steps are used to test the condition and integrity of the Hard Disk Drive from the BIOS.
- Go to Diagnostics > HDD Self-Test options.
- Click F10 to select.
- Click F10 to continue.After the test is complete, make sure the PC is restarted.
EFI BIOS (Newer Notebooks):
- Go to Diagnostics > System Diagnostics menu > Hard Disk Test
- Click the button Start Hard Drive test.The HDD will be tested and the results displayed.
After the test is complete, make sure the PC is restarted.
If the tests indicate any errors/faults with the Hard Disk Drive (HDD), contact HP Support for further assistance, because it is possible that the HDD is faulty